Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hello from South Dakota!

Hello Everyone,
I hope you all had a great week. Mine was pretty good. This week we had Zone Conference, its was way awesome. It was a 2-day thing, so the last half of tuesday and the morning of Wednesday we had it. I always love Zone Conference, we got taught a lot of great things and it helps boost the morale of the mission. Neat story, beforehand, the District got together for lunch at a place called Buffalo Wings and Rings. There was about 11 of us there, we all order a good amount of wings and such, and right after we finish ordering the waitress comes back and lets us know the man in the booth "over there" and is picking up our bill. Turns out is was a member in the 1st ward here in Rapid. Pretty crazy seeing how the bill was easily over $100. It was a great blessing and we were thankful for his kindness.
After Zone Conference I went on an exchange with Elder Potter, whose actually from Highland, UT. But I didn't know him. He's serving in Spearfish, SD which also covers Sturgis(where the annual biker road rallys are), Deadwood(a pretty sweet old western town) and Belle Fourche. He's an interesting guy. But the best part of the exchange, and Andrew is gonna love this, was we visited 3 Paraguayans! They're here in the States on a program from their University to work and learn and stuff. One of them is a member of the church, her name is Biera, and the other two, Jorge and Maria, aren't, but they're being taught. They had to have been the nicest people I have ever met, it was so much fun talking with them and at the end of the meeting we were able to go around and share our favorite scriptures from the Book of Mormon. They all have their own Spanish Copy of it. Anyway, they were way cool and will most likely be baptized once they get home to Paraguay in a
few months. Jorge wanted me to ask if you had been to the Avenue(but in Spanish) de Sacrmiento in Asuncion Andrew, I guess that's where he lives maybe? Anyway, it was great.
We exchanged back the next day. We were able to find some new investigator's this week, which is really awesome, and they all seem pretty promising which is exciting. James Tracke is still on date for baptism on the 28th which is really exciting and we have a few others who got pushed back until March. The work out here is great, hard at times but as long as we rely on the Savior he will make our burdens light and help us along the way. I've truly learned that as we humble ourselves and accept the Lord's will in ourlives we will find more joy and happiness. He will help us lose our selfish desires and have more love in helping our brothers and sisters.
I learned a powerful concept in Zone Conference, that I have probably heard in the past but haven't internalized. It is that if we pray and ask for things to benefit ourselves, the Lord often times will grant us our desires, but when we ask for things to bless us with so that we may help and serves others, the blessings come more numerously and abundantly. For example: In the mission we do a lot of studying of the sciptures in the morning. I have experienced for myself that when I begin my study and ask for knowledge and understanding of the scriptures so that through that knowledge I can bless the lives of my investigator's, the Lord as much more fully opened my mind to what I am studying as opposed to when I just ask for knowledge. I can be applied to all aspects of life and I know that as we apply this principle in our own lives that we will be blessed more fully and will be able to bless the lives of those around us.
I love you all and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Fitt

No comments: