Monday, September 22, 2008

Week One/Area One

Hello everyone!
Its been a crazy week. Last Wednesday we took a plane to Rapid City, South Dakota. The flight was only an hour and 15 minutes long, and somehow I managed to get a seat next to a member of the church, it was cool. As we flew to SD, he pointed out a bunch of the trails and landmarks that some of the handcart companies took. They sure trekked through some pretty desolate areas.
Well when we arrived the mission president, President Cannon, picked us up with one of his AP's, and 2 of the office elders. So we went to the mission home, and had a really good lunch and spent the rest of the day learning about the mission rules, bearing our testimonies, getting interviews and napping. That evening we were assigned our areas after we had a little spiritual pow-wow. As you know, I was assigned to the Pierre District. Pierre is the capitol of South Dakota, only because it is in the middle of the state. It is definitely not a large city at all. Its population is 15,000...so its smaller that good ol' EDH. The Missouri River, I believe, runs through the middle of it, its a cool river.
Anyway, on Thursday we jumped in the transfer train (a big ol' van with a trailer) and started our journey to our respective cities. Pierre is only 2 hours away from Rapid City so I had the quickest drive of the lot. Some of the elders had 14 hour+ drives, and the elder's who were driving the transfer train were going to be driving around for 3 days! The mission is huge. Well I arrived in Pierre and met my trainer, Elder Daly. He's from Mesa, Arizona and is a cool guy. He's been teaching me well. We visited some people that day and did a little bit of tracting. The people here are very nice for the most part, and are willing to talk for a bit even if they don't let you in. We visited a Native American guy named Angelo Horse, and after answering some of his questions from a previous lesson, Elder Daly committed him to baptism...but Angelo was unsure of some things so we committed him to setting a date for baptism next time we came, and he agreed to that. So that's pretty exciting.
The rest of the week we tracted and visited the less active members, or part member families in the area. There are a ton of them. One family that stands out is a member, named Candy, and her non-member mother, Pauletta. Apparently the missionaries have been visiting Pauletta for several months now, but its hard to get lessons in because she doesn't like formal lessons, so you gotta squeeze them in when you can. But she feeds us a lot and well, so we're willing to visit whenever we can. They are a crazy family though, they live in a trailer. Like half the town lives in trailers it seems, it was a pretty big culture shock to me, and I'm still getting used to it.
But the people are friendly, though most of them are really kooky. Oh, apparently Big Mike Andrus served here and he was the AP. He was a trainer for Elder Johanssen, who picked me up (is that worded weird?)! So it was cool talking about that for a while. And Evan Fox, who lived in the Cameron Park area in California served in this mission as well. He just went home though about a week before I got here. Pretty crazy.
Well this letter is already too long...but I'm gonna write more...so if you're getting bored feel free to stop reading, it won't hurt my feelings.
The rest of the week we tracted and visited LA's (less actives) but didn't get much teaching in, we were unlucky. Saturday however, was District Conference. All the branches in the Pierre District (we're in the Pierre Branch) come to Pierre for a 2 day meeting, like Stake Conference. But its a little more important in a way, because the person who you get your temple recommend interview from is the Mission President, President Cannon. And District Conference only happens every 6 months.
So there was dinner that night then an adult session. We got to help out with the preparation and had a chance to visit with the members. The members out here are awesome, they're so strong in their faith. Some of them had to drive over 3 hours to get here. Pretty committed! I had the opportunity of bearing my testimony at the start of the meeting, which was good stuff. Two elders who are serving in the Eagle Butte Indian Reservation, which is up north, came down for the conference and stayed with us at the apartment. They're cool fellas: Elder Schoppman, a hick from Arizona, and Elder Nelson, a pretty cool guy from Utah (Provo area somewhere). They got assigned to be traveling Elders, and we're their back up. That means if anyone anywhere in the district has someone for them to teach, they'll come...which means they could end up driving 7 hours for one teaching appointment! Its pretty crazy.
On Sunday we had the last bit of district conference, with the general session. Afterwards there was a potluck, which was really tasty, and we got to take home the leftovers...about 20 pounds of food, it was awesome. Later that night we went to Candy's place again and had dinner there and tried to sneak in a lesson, but Pauletta wasn't in the mood and hadn't read what we asked her to.
Well that takes me to Monday, today. I think I wrote too much and the only person who read this far was my mom...haha.
I'd just like to close the letter with my testimony that I know that this gospel is true. I know our Heavenly Father loves us and cares for us and through our families we are greatly blessed. Jesus Christ is our Savior and by our faith in Him we can be cleansed from our sins and have the opportunity to live with our families forever in God's presence. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, I've grown so close to it since I've been out here. I challenge all of you who are reading this to start reading the Book of Mormon again if you aren't already, to pray about it, and to finish it by the end of the year. I know that if you do our Father in Heaven will bless you with a knowledge of its truthfulness through the Holy Ghost and you will have a greater love for it. I read the whole book while I was in the MTC and had an amazing experience and I want all of you to have that experience as well. I know we have a living prophet on the earth today, who leads and guides us. I don't remember where...it may have been a talk a by a general authority, but it said that the words of the prophet are more important than the scriptures. FOLLOW the prophet, please, and I know that if you do he'll help you have a happier, more successful life. I love this church, I love the people out here in South Dakota and I am so grateful to be out here on this mission, serving the Lord and His children.

Love,
Elder Fitt

P.S.
The other day I was reading in Alma during the war chapters that involved Captain Moroni. If you get a chance, read his epistle to Pahoran, and then Pahoran's response back and the actions that follow. The faith and love these two brethren have are amazing and they are wonderful examples of dedication, long-suffering, kindness and faithfulness that we all can learn from.

P.P.S.
Dang...I wrote a lot. By the way, I have an hour for writing and reading emails, so if it is easier for some of you to write emails, then go for it, but I won't respond as quickly to them. But letters are still preferred since they are more exciting and more fun to read, given that they come in intervals and not just on preparation day.

P.P.P.S. My mom says if you want to send her your email letters, she'll print and mail them to me.

No comments: