Monday, January 5, 2009

What Happened to 2008?

Hello everyone,
Man, this year flew by, especially the last 4 months. I hope everyone had a Happy New Years and stuff...we kinda did. Played some games and read a lot, because we had to come in at 5pm.
Anyway, the work is still pretty slow. It seems as though everyone is still in the vacation mode, hopefully that will change this week with school starting up again and such. The week went decently though, it had its upsides and downsides of course. We'll start with the downsides, heh. We were supposed to have 5, yes 5 investigator's at church on Sunday, pretty ridiculous number for Pierre. But, all 5 dogged us. Oh well. It was going to by Lynn, her daughter as well as Austin, Jace and Jace's cousin Clayton(who has sat in on 2 lessons now). But it seems some way or another they found an excuse to not make it, oh well, there's always next Sunday!
Well let's see, have some crazy stories from this week. First off, we got to meet with The Gravatt's again, the less-active family who always tells crazy stories. Turns out, Ivan, when he was in high school, was an Olympic level runner, I guess he said he ran a 1:47 half mile and a 4:48 mile, now I don't know what Olympic times are like...but I cannot picture this guy being able to book it that fast. But he didn't want to go to the Olympics because he wanted to be a cook instead. Also, he told us Mexico is floating on the ocean. Its like a woven basket and just floats on the Pacific and that Mexican's were brought over from Spain by the conquistador's to be their slaves. Haha, pretty crazy.
We also got cast out by some crazy guy when we were tracting. He opened his door and proceeded to tell us we were false teachers and the Gold Plates were a scam, because he had "researched" it on the internet. Then he pointed at his little Christian Jesus fish on his door and said "Jesus Christ, Be Gone!" And slammed the door, it was pretty awesome, but hard to not rebuke him for being so...so...unsmart? I dunno, it was funny.
I guess I did say I we had some good news too. That would have to be the fact that the holidays are over, we've been getting quite a bit of media referrals from the HQ in Salt Lake. The only problem is they're 160 miles, round trip, which really hurts the mileage budget. Oh well.
The work is still exciting and I love being a missionary. I've recently been reading from Jesus the Christ, and like Elder Ricks said in one of the letters that I got sent a while ago...once you pick it up you can't put it down. I've been reading it like crazy and loving every bit that I can understand (...man Talmage uses some big words that the little dictionary in our apartment hasn't even heard of).
Anyway, I hope you all have a great week, and I hope you all accepted my challenge to read the Book of Mormon. And if I didn't say every day, I'm saying it now, read it every day and the Lord will bless you for it and your testimony will grow. The church is true!
Love,
Elder Fitt

No comments: